National Night Out in Northern Dauphin County: Two Days of Celebrating First Responders – Aug. 3 and Sept. 18
National Night Out is coming soon and will be celebrated this year in northern Dauphin County with numerous events and activities on two days: Aug. 3 and Sept. 18.
After a restricted schedule last year – due to COVID-19 – Dauphin County Commissioners and partners are presenting a wide variety of in-person and virtual events to celebrate our emergency responders.
“These brave men and women sacrifice so much, many times, for people they have never even met,” County Commissioner Chair Mike Pries said. “We are looking forward to showing our police, firefighters, medics and other emergency responders how much we appreciate them.”
The two days of celebrations will include a house decorating contest, a parade, coloring contests, special guest book readings, food vendors, games and much more. (A complete list is at the bottom.)
This year’s events are in special honor of Randy Wynn, who recently retired after 48 years of emergency responder service, most recently as Wiconisco Township Police Chief.
“These events are reminders that we should not take our emergency responders for granted,” County Commissioner Chad Saylor said. “Community support means a lot to these departments and agencies.”
The northern Dauphin County events are on behalf of Dauphin County, The Northern Dauphin Human Services Center, the Pennsylvania State Police (Troop H Lykens), Dauphin County Library System, Penn State SCOPE and Hamilton Health.
“Our communities are strongest when we come together,” County Commissioner George P. Hartwick III said. “National Night Out is a celebration of our first responders, but also expressions of unity and supporting your neighbors.”
Here are the events expected for this summer’s NNO celebrations:
On Aug. 3:
- House Decorating Contest (register by calling, or stopping by, NDHSC, weekdays 8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Coloring Contest (registrations and coloring packets can be picked up at Northern Dauphin Human Services Center, weekdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- National Night Out Parade: At 7 p.m., in conjunction with the Berrysburg Fireman’s Parade
- Book Reading contest at Elizabethville library branch (books are about emergency responders)
- Emergency response apparatus on display at Wal-Mart, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Blood Drive at The Valley Lighthouse: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Register with CPBB by calling 1-800-771-0059 at 717GiveBlood.org (click on Donate Now)
- Community appreciation discounts and goodies for first responders (lists available at NDHSC)
- Virtual events at www.DauphinCounty.org
On Sept. 18:
- Vendor event and door prize give-away at The Valley Lighthouse, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Face painting
- Talent show
- Food trucks, vendors and entertainment
- Revealing of ND Community Calendar participants
If you have questions or would like to join as a vendor, please email Bonnie Kent at email@example.com or call 717-905-2700 weekdays during business hours.