E-File for a Marriage License
BEFORE YOU START:
- DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, MARRIAGE LICENSE TRANSACTIONS SHALL BE COMPLETED BY VIDEO CONFERENCE AND MAY BE LIMITED TO DAUPHIN COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY.
- This site allows you to submit information for a marriage license application to the Dauphin County Clerk of the Orphans’ Court. Please make sure that you turn off any pop-up blockers.
- The application is INCOMPLETE until the couple appears either by:
- Video Conference
- In-Person Appointment at the Dauphin County Orphans’ Court Office
WHEN TO APPLY:
- Pennsylvania law required\s a three-day waiting period before a license becomes valid.
- Marriage licenses are valid for sixty days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere in Pennsylvania.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Start the application by clicking Continue above. The application cannot be saved for later. It must be completed at one time. Please only submit one application per couple. Corrections can be made by Dauphin County, if needed.
- E-SIGNATURES MUST BE AUTHORIZED BY EACH APPLICANT. If e-signatures are not authorized during your online application, you will be asked for consent for e-signature by Dauphin County. If either applicant does not consent, the application must be printed and signed during the video conference or completed in person.
- When finished, click on “Submit to County” and print the Application Information Sheet with barcode and transaction number. If you do not have a printer, please make note of your transaction number.
COMPLETE APPLICATION BY VIDEO CONFERENCE:
- Call the Dauphin County Orphans’ Court office at 717-780-6500 and leave a message with your name, phone number, and transaction number. A representative will return your call to review the application information and will send you a copy of the application for review.
- Photo identification must be presented by both applicants. A passport, driver’s license, or state-issued ID are acceptable. These items will need to be e-mailed to the representative who contacts you.
- If married previously, each applicant must present their divorce decree from their most recent marriage or provide the exact date of death of their late spouse. If the applicant’s name on the presented identification does not match the name on the divorce decree, proof of name change is required. These items will need to be e-mailed to the representative who contacts you.
- After all appropriate documentation is received, the representative will schedule your video conference.
- Both applicants must be present during the video conference. Each applicant must show their identification through the camera.
- The fee for the application must be paid by credit card at the conclusion of the video conference. The fee is $70.00 plus a credit card processing fee of $1.79.
- After successful payment, the marriage license will be mailed to the address provided by the couple.
COMPLETE APPLICATION BY IN-PERSON APPOINTMENT:
- Call the office at 717-780-6500 to request an in-person appointment at either location. Please bring your transaction number, photo ID, any other applicable documentation, and a credit card for the fee of $70.00 plus $1.79 processing fee.
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30* p.m.
Dauphin County Courthouse
Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court
101 Market Street, Room 103, Harrisburg, PA 17101
First & Third Wednesday of each month: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30* p.m.
Upper Dauphin County Branch Office
Northern Dauphin Human Services Center
295 State Drive, Elizabethville, PA 17023
717-905-2700 ext. 2507
*PLEASE ARRIVE BY 4:00 P.M. TO ALLOW FOR TIME TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION. No appointments will be scheduled after 4:00 PM.