Start a Virtual Marriage License
BEFORE YOU START:
- DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, MARRIAGE LICENSE TRANSACTIONS SHALL BE COMPLETED BY VIDEO CONFERENCE AND MAY BE LIMITED TO DAUPHIN COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY.
- This site allows you to submit information for a marriage license application to the Dauphin County Clerk of the Orphans’ Court. Please make sure that you turn off any pop-up blockers.
- The application is INCOMPLETE until the couple appears either by:
- Video Conference
- In-Person Appointment at the Dauphin County Orphans’ Court Office
Marriage License Application Information & Procedure
WHO MUST APPLY?
Both individuals to be married must complete the application for marriage. All applicants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
WHO MAY NOT MARRY?
Blood relatives down to and including first cousins MAY NOT marry under the laws of Pennsylvania.
WHEN TO APPLY?
The marriage license must be obtained at least three (3) days prior to the marriage ceremony. The three-day waiting period does not start until we have printed the license after your video conference or in-person appointment. The license will expire sixty (60) days after the three-day waiting period.
A marriage license may be obtained from the Clerk of Orphans' Court in any county in Pennsylvania. The ceremony need not be performed in the county in which the license was issued but must be performed in the state of Pennsylvania.
The fee for a marriage license varies from county to county. The fee in Dauphin County is $70.00 plus a credit processor fee of $1.79.
- As of January 1st, 1998, you must give your Social Security Number.
- Identification – Driver’s License, Non-Driver Photo ID or Passport are accepted.
- Divorce Decree and Notice to Resume Prior Surname (if applicable)
- When original documentation is written in a foreign language, the original and a notarized translation must be submitted.
- E-file a marriage license application. Carefully read the help text and follow the prompts for e-filing. Leaving incomplete information or using n/a may result in rejection.
- Upload required documents as noted above.
- Choose a date and time for the video conference. Both applicants must be present during the video conference, but it is permissible to join from separate locations.
- A confirmation email will be sent once the e-filed application is submitted. This email will include a link to the video conference. A video conference invitation will also be sent on the day of the appointment.
- During the video conference, each applicant will need to show their IDs through the camera. Each applicant must also share their screen while they e-sign the application. Payment information will be collected at the end of the video conference.
- Applicants may choose to pick up their license or have it mailed. Please inform the clerk during the conference.
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30* p.m.
Dauphin County Courthouse
Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court
101 Market Street, Room 103, Harrisburg, PA 17101
First & Third Wednesday of each month: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30* p.m.
Upper Dauphin County Branch Office
Northern Dauphin Human Services Center
295 State Drive, Elizabethville, PA 17023
717-905-2700 ext. 2507
*PLEASE ARRIVE BY 4:00 P.M. TO ALLOW FOR TIME TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION. No appointments will be scheduled after 4:00 PM.