How To Access Mental Health Services

Dauphin County's mental health system is designed to help persons access mental health treatment and supports when there are limited financial or insurance resources to pay for the cost of services. There are three (3) primary ways to get involved with the public funded mental health system, if you are a resident of Dauphin County and are ages 3 and older

  1. Contact Dauphin County Crisis Intervention Services at (717)232-7511 or toll free at 1-888-596-4447, or walk in at 100 Chestnut Street, Harrisburg PA 17101

    Persons experiencing any type of crisis or traumatic event which causes them emotional or behavioral distress, a change in their daily routine, or inability to care for themselves due to a possible mental illness or emotional disturbance may call any time or any day 24 hours and 7 days a week, to speak with a crisis worker, walk-in, or request a mobile outreach service. Many contacts are made by family and neighbors concerned that a person may need assistance. There is no fee for Crisis Intervention Services. Crisis can also provide information and referrals to many human service programs in Dauphin County. (For more information about Crisis Intervention Services click here)

  2. CMU, a private-non-profit agency, is the gateway to the public funded County mental health system in Dauphin County. The CMU determines eligibility and mental health service needs.

    At the CMU, an intake appointment gets you registered and enrolled in the system. The CMU staff offers an assessment of your needs, financial eligibility, and planning of services to meet your needs. CMU offers walk-in intakes Mondays through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at their primary office, 1100 South Cameron Street in Harrisburg 17104. To learn more about the intake process and what is needed to bring to the intake at the CMU you can call them at (717) 232-8761. More information can be found at

    If you reside in Northern Dauphin County, contact the CMU office in the Northern Dauphin area to schedule an intake appointment. Visit their website at to learn more about the intake process at the CMU or call them at their office at the Northern Dauphin Human Services Center located at 295 State Drive, Elizabethville, PA 17023. Appointments may be scheduled at (717) 362-1212 or call toll free at 1-866-820-3521.

    Depending upon your needs and concerns you will be referred to contracted mental health treatment and support agencies for services. A mental health case manager will assist you in navigating the system. The CMU offers two types of mental health services: case management and certified peer specialist services. For a brief description of other types of mental health services click here for a Description of the Mental Health System.

  3. Persons with Medical Assistance or an ACCESS card are a member of PerformCare, a behavioral health managed care company. They have an array of mental health services and supports available through contracted service providers which they fund using your insurance through the ACCESS card.

    Public funded mental health treatment and supports are also offered through the ACCESS system or Medical Assistance. The Dauphin County Assistance Office determines your eligibility for medical assistance. Person eligible for medical assistance are enrolled in Dauphin County with a behavioral health managed care company called PerformCare. Contact them at their website and go to Member Services or call them at (717) 671-6500 or 1-888-722-8646 and request to speak to staff in Member Services.