PI License Application Process
Corporate and Individual Private Investigator License Applicants
Procedures to follow when applying for an Individual or Corporate Private Investigator License:
- Pursuant to The Private Act, file petition with the clerk of court and include the corporate and/or local business address and a current and active phone number(s). Include two sets of fingerprint cards for individual applicants. Include two sets of fingerprint cards for EACH corporate officer applicant whose qualifications are set forth in the petition. Identification cards are issued to individual applicants and only those corporate officers approved by the court as part of the petitioning process. One fingerprint card will accompany the petition to the court and the other will be processed through the PA State Police as part of a criminal background check.
- Original corporate applicant petitions must be submitted by an attorney.
- Each individual petition or corporate petition must be accompanied by a filing/processing fee in the amount of $58 in the form of a certified check or money order made payable to the Dauphin County Clerk of Court for each individual applicant or corporate officer(s) applicant. In addition, a certified check or money order in the amount of $17.50 made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is required for EACH set of fingerprint cards submitted. A MISC docket number is assigned and the petition is forwarded to the court.
- Results of the criminal record check and the approval or denial of the petition from the court is forwarded to the petitioner.
- Upon approval, the petitioner shall submit a cover letter and a certified check or money order made payable to the Dauphin County Clerk of Court in the amount of $200 for individual applicants and $300 for corporate applicants. A license and certified identification card are then issued to individual petitioners or the corporation and its officer(s).
- Completion of Renewal Form (2 year period) including current/active phone number(s).
- Letter stating the individual or corporation is still in compliance with the The Private Detective Act. Corporate renewals must include the name of the corporate officer(s) listed in the original petition and approved by the court for issuance if identification cards.
- A $10,000 bond as set forth in the Act.
- Certified check or money order made payable to the Dauphin County Clerk of Court in the amount $260.35 (individual - $200 license/$60.35 processing) or $360.35 (corporate - $300 license/$60.35 processing).
NOTE: Fees related to private detective application process are NOT refundable.
Employee Fingerprint Cards
Pursuant to The Private Detective Act of 1953, this office will process fingerprint cards through the PA State Police for employees of Dauphin County corporate license holders who reside in Dauphin County.
A certified check or money order made payable to the Dauphin County Clerk of Court in the amount of $35 for processing and a separate certified check or money order in the amount of $17.50 made payable to the Commonwealth of PA for the fingerprint comparison shall accompany each submission. The clerk of court will notify the corporate license of holder of the fingerprint comparison results and notify the district attorney if the Commonwealth finds a criminal record.
Persons may petition the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas for individual private detective licenses and upon approval will receive an identification card. Corporate license holders and applicants shall refer to The Private Detective Act for all other matters related to employees.
NOTE:Fees related to this process are not refundable.