Health Insurance Counseling
APPRISE is the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for all Medicare beneficiaries in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Department of Aging created APPRISE to help Pennsylvanians understand their Medicare and other health insurance benefits and assist them in making sound decisions about what is best for them.
APPRISE counselors are specially trained volunteers. They can answer your questions about Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, (Supplement Insurance) Medicare Advantage plans, long term care insurance and prescription drug benefit. APPRISE counselors have direct access to state and federal Medicare resources. They can:
- Help you understand your Medicare benefits by explaining which services are covered under Parts A and B and your Medicare Summary Notice.
- Help you make informed choices about Medicare coverage options, including Medicare Advantage plans and Medigap policies.
- Help you understand the Medicare appeals process and assist with appeals paperwork.
- Help you select a Medigap insurance policy.
- Explain financial assistance programs that may be available to assist in paying for your Medicare premiums deductibles and coinsurance, as well as your prescription drug needs.
- Make presentations on Medicare to your organization.
Please call (717) 780-6130 for more information.
Annual Open Enrollment Period Clinic dates
Medicare 101 Seminars
Programs to Save Money:
Pennsylvania Health Law Project (PHLP) is a partner of the APPRISE program. PHLP is a nationally recognized expert and consultant on access to health care for low-income consumers, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Go to http://www.phlp.org for more information.