Administered through Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging, the Apprise program is a state Health Insurance Assistance Program which provides counseling for people with Medicare in Pennsylvania. It is designed specifically to help people with all types of health insurance, including Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicaid, Medicare Part D and private policies like Long-Term Care and Medicare Supplement Insurance. Apprise is a free program staffed by specially trained volunteers committed to assisting you. Counseling is done over the phone, in your home or at one of Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging’s sites.
In addition to one-on-one counseling, the APPRISE Program holds seminars open to the public on topics such as Medicare Basics, programs to help save money and Medicare Prescription Coverage.
APPRISE counselors are specially trained volunteers. They can answer your questions about Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, (Supplement Insurance) Medicare Advantage plans, long term care insurance and prescription drug benefit. APPRISE counselors have direct access to state and federal Medicare resources. They can:
- Help you understand your Medicare benefits by explaining which services are covered under Parts A and B and your Medicare Summary Notice.
- Help you make informed choices about Medicare coverage options, including Medicare Advantage plans and Medigap policies.
- Help you understand the Medicare appeals process and assist with appeals paperwork.
- Help you select a Medigap insurance policy.
- Explain financial assistance programs that may be available to assist in paying for your Medicare premiums, deductibles and coinsurance, as well as your prescription drug needs.
- Make presentations on Medicare to your organization.
For more information, please contact the Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging at (717) 780-6130 or Toll Free 1-800-328-0058, Extension 6130.
APPRISE Coordinator for Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging:
Telephone Number: (717) 780-6147
Annual Open Enrollment Period Clinic Dates coming soon.
Programs to SAVE MONEY:
Pennsylvania Health Law Project (PHLP) is a partner of the APPRISE program. PHLP is a nationally recognized expert and consultant on access to health care for low-income consumers, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Go to: http://www.phlp.org
for more information.