Emergency Information for Citizens
Preparing for Emergencies
Know the warning signs and what to do in a disaster emergency. Depending upon the type of disaster, there may be a requirement to evacuate or shelter-in-place. Being prepared for both situations is essential in ensuring your and your family’s safety and comfort during an emergency. Preparedness activities take place BEFORE a disaster occurs. Have your Ready Kit available at all times, with updated seasonal-appropriate supplies. A checklist of items to include in your Ready Kit can be found at Ready PA
When Disaster Strikes
- Emergency instructions will be relayed via radio and TV.
- Keep your phone lines open; don’t make unnecessary calls.
- Shelter-in-place – close all doors and windows and shut off any systems that draw in outside air, such as furnaces, fireplaces and air conditioners. Stay indoors and keep listening to the radio or TV for updates.
- If instructed to evacuate – go to the local reception center and register. You may stay at the center if needed, or stay with friends or relatives outside the evacuation zone. Do not try to pick up children or other loved ones at schools, nursing homes, hospitals, or campgrounds as they will follow their own evacuation plan. Listen to the radio or TV to find out where these places have evacuated to.
- Plan to be away for three days, locking up and turning off appliances as you would if you were going away for the weekend. Pack all necessary items and follow the evacuation route specified.
Being prepared will help you respond calmly and quickly in an emergency, when minutes matter.
FEMA Public Assistance Forms (DAP)
Have a battery-powered radio (and extra batteries) in case the power is out. Up-to-date emergency alerts and public safety information will be available on local TV and radio stations.
Phone numbers to be used only in case of emergency conditions:
- Dauphin County Rumor Control Hotline, activated only during an emergency: (717) 558-6800
- Emergency information for Dauphin County farmers: (717) 921-8803