A thriving city, robust business and industry, serene suburbia, farming communities and superlative R & R, surrounded by rolling fields, waterways, and the Appalachian mountains. Dauphin County is the home of the State Capital of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania-Harrisburg, since 1785. Formerly known as an industrial and manufacturing center, we are swiftly emerging as the 5th fastest growing high-tech center in the nation.
Our central location provides an advantage for excellent market access for business. Dauphin County serves as a major distribution hub for many companies servicing the east coast's top metropolitan markets. Dauphin County is the home of Tyco Electronics/AMP, Hershey Chocolate USA and Hershey Amusement Park. Dauphin County has just the right mix for diverse lifestyles: a thriving city with beautiful town homes, elegant high-rise apartments and condominiums and quaint historic districts. Delight yourself in visiting specialty shops, exquisite dining an trendy nighttime entertainment. Attractive suburban communities replete with parks, ponds, great schools, colleges, malls and shopping outlets await you in Dauphin County.
Experience the ultimate in cultural events, entertainment and recreation, whether its golfing, biking, fishing, hunting, braving adverturesome water sports, exploring art galleries, museums, the new Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, historic mansions, or a stroll along Riverfront Park. Enjoy the local professional sporting events, concerts, plays and national trade shows held at Riverside Stadium, The Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, the Hershey Arena and a multitude of theaters. It's a wonderful place to live, work, play and do business. We have it all in Dauphin County.
So Many Reasons to Come
- DEEP CROSS SECTION OF PRIVATE INDUSTRY... including distribution and warehousing, electrical machinery and equipment, printing and publishing, and the emerging industries of biomedicine and health
- OVER 25,000 PEOPLE WORK IN DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG ...with many in the private sector, in over 9 million square feet of office space
- LARGEST WORKFORCE DESTINATION IN REGION ... drawing the greatest number of workers from outside counties than any other county in Central Pennsylvania
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IS 3RD BUSIEST IN PA... annually used by over 1.2 million passengers with an 8% annual growth rate in cargo
- CENTRAL US INTERSTATE CONVERGENCE POINT...key interchanges in the area's developed interstate highway network serve over 100,000 vehicles per day
- PRINCIPAL DOUBLE-STACKED RAIL FREIGHT TERMINUS... The Rutherford Intermodal Terminus is one of the most technologically advanced in the US with over 500,000 lifts annually
- ABUNDANT WATER SUPPLIES... from the Susquehanna River, Dehart Dam and other mountain watersheds
- SIGNIFICANT UNDERGRADUATE PRESENCE AT HARRISBURG AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE/PENN STATE HARRISBURG... offering one of the best bargains in bachelors degree programs
- HEADQUARTERS TO THE STATE SYSTEM OF HIGHER EDUCATION... with additional graduate level needs served by the Dixon University Center
- GRADUATE WORK AT TEMPLE, DUSQUENE & WIDENER SCHOOL OF LAW SATELLITES... as well as at Penn State Harrisburg
- PENN STATE HERSHEY MEDICAL CENTER IS NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED... as a research and university hospital
- PROFESSIONAL SPORTS CAPITAL OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA... Home to the AA Eastern League Harrisburg Senators baseball team, NPSL Harrisburg Heat indoor professional soccer team, the AHL Hershey Bears ice hockey team, and the outdoor soccer Hershey Wildcats
- ONE OF TOP 3 COUNTIES WHERE TOTAL VISITOR TRAVEL $$ SPENT... over $1.5 Billion annually